Friday, July 20, 2012

Dios Lo Bendiga


Praying before Surgery

I was walking through the post op area this morning and many of the people that I had prayed for the previous day were there. As I walked around saying hello, several of them asked if I would pray for them again. When I finished praying for one woman, she said: “ Dios Lo Bendiga” which means God Bless you. I thought to myself:  Oh he does. One of my jobs on this team is to pray for people before they go into surgery. Often they chime in on the prayer and pray with great intensity for the surgeon, nurses and other people that will be caring for them. The end response is gratitude. … Gratitude for all the help they have received.
While waiting for patients to pray for, I was visiting with Dr. Saenz, the general surgeon on the trip. He is very excited and energetic. He exclaimed that: “this is real medicine.” He told me that in Guatemala he is able to focus on caring for the patient without the mounds of paper work. Oh, they have paper work to keep track of, but not the massive amount that they have in the U.S. “This is why I became a doctor” is the very common statement that I have heard from other doctors on the team this year and in past years. Even though they often put in twelve hour days, the doctors that come on the mission trip find themselves freed up and energized. Dr. Saenz commented that he was amazed by the amount of pathology that he had seen. “The things that people live with down here is unbelievable “ was his statement. He told of a woman coming in with a growth on the bottom of her foot the size of a grapefruit.
Last night during our devotional time Debbie Rose, one of our dental assistants, commented on two of the surgeries that were performed during the day. Dr. Saenz clipped the frenulum under the tongue releasing their tongues so that they could learn to speak. At home this would have been done at birth, but these children were considerably older. One girl was ten years old.
That is part of our task on this trip: setting the captives free…Free to thank God and bless other people.
Dios Los Bendiga God Bless all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment